Saturday 19 August 2017

jQuery - The noConflict() Method

What if you wish to use other frameworks on your pages, while still using jQuery?

jQuery and Other JavaScript Frameworks

As you already know; jQuery uses the $ sign as a shortcut for jQuery.
There are many other popular JavaScript frameworks like: Angular, Backbone, Ember, Knockout, and more.
What if other JavaScript frameworks also use the $ sign as a shortcut?
If two different frameworks are using the same shortcut, one of them might stop working.
The jQuery team have already thought about this, and implemented the noConflict() method.

The jQuery noConflict() Method

The noConflict() method releases the hold on the $ shortcut identifier, so that other scripts can use it.
You can of course still use jQuery, simply by writing the full name instead of the shortcut:

Example

$.noConflict();
jQuery(document).ready(function(){
    jQuery("button").click(function(){
        jQuery("p").text("jQuery is still working!");
    });
});
Try it Yourself »
You can also create your own shortcut very easily. The noConflict() method returns a reference to jQuery, that you can save in a variable, for later use. Here is an example:

Example

var jq = $.noConflict();
jq(document).ready(function(){
    jq("button").click(function(){
        jq("p").text("jQuery is still working!");
    });
});
Try it Yourself »
If you have a block of jQuery code which uses the $ shortcut and you do not want to change it all, you can pass the $ sign in as a parameter to the ready method. This allows you to access jQuery using $, inside this function - outside of it, you will have to use "jQuery":

Example

$.noConflict();
jQuery(document).ready(function($){
    $("button").click(function(){
        $("p").text("jQuery is still working!");
    });
});
Try it Yourself »

3 comments:

  1. Very nice article! I'm Preeti, I write for educational blogs. I make a collection of wonderful educational blogs from where I could take inspiration for writing. This article really inspires me though it is a little different from my domain but nonetheless it is a good writing. I sometime write for education site blogs
    Clear Exam Let me know your thoughts if I could contribute to your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful article. I can see that you have done a lot of research and your subject knowledge is good and impressive.
    This is Nitin, I also like to write for an education blog Clear IIT Medical - This is an online blog for students who want to prepare for India's most difficult entrance exams - IIT JEE and NEET This is a free blog and provide free study material, quiz and notes to those who can't afford to pay hefty fees of coaching institutes. I write free of cost for the good cause. I know you must be busy with your work but if you could take out some time from your busy schedule and have a look at it. I saw a good collection of articles. If you only write a few words about this blog then it can help a lot of students out there. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Such an articulate post it is! I am a fan of your writing. Being a new writer, it's always good to see inspiring posts like this. I am a management graduate and write for 12th pass students for various career options. I write for a good blog:
    Clear Law Entrance I want to write about a lot of things out there, please guide me on how I can become a good blogger.

    ReplyDelete

Recent Post

Parallel Task in .Net 4.0